[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

vinayaka ns brahmavadin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 00:22:17 CDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Sanjay Srivastava <sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> > nidhidhyAsana is the most important sAkshAt sAdhanA in the tradition. The
> > following remark of Kanchi Maha SwamigaL makes it clear:
> >
> > "Remember our Acharya is one who gave the noblest status to the hearing
> > (shravaNa) of the teaching from the guru. If the same Acharya says "Let
> it
> > be understood that mananaM is a hundred times greater than shravaNaM".
> > *shataguNaM vidyAn-mananaM*, then at how really a high level should
> > shravaNaM be counted? And he doesn't stop there. If mananaM is a hundred
> > times greater than shravaNaM, he says nidhidhyAsanaM is a
> hundred-thousand
> > times greater than mananaM:
>
> Viewed from this perspective it can be said that Sri Bhagwan only
> restored the relative importance of shravaNa, manana and nididhyAsana
> in self enquiry and brought it in line with tradition.

Namaste,

This approach is not something alien to the tradition; rather it is the
most important part of sAdhanA. Here are the words of Swami Chandrashekara
Bharati of Sringeri:

Among the material aids for achieving moksha, bhakti is the greatest.
Continuous contemplation of one's essential nature (svarUpa) is said to be
bhakti. (VC 33)

By svasvarUpAnusandhAna contemplation on one's essential nature,
nididhyAsana (profound repeated meditation) is meant. That alone can serve
as the immediate means to direct realisation. The continuous contemplation
of the shruti text and the upadesha of the guru: sa AtmA tattvamasi ( that
is the Atman; That thou art): " Thy essential nature is Brahman; thou art
That only", is the indespensable means (asAdhAraNa kAraNa) of such
realisation. This contemplation (anusandhAna) is of the form of the
exclusion of contrary ideas and is marked by a continuous flow of accordant
ideas. shama etc., are the cause of jnAna mediated by vichAra and
nididhyAsana . But nididhyAsana is the immediate cause for it. Because it
produces direct realisation, it is said to be the greatest among sAdhanAs
that make for jnAna which is revelatory of one's true nature which is
synonymous with moksha....

Best Wishes,

Vinayaka