[Advaita-l] Eternal Loka

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:19:16 CDT 2012

I'm not saying that bhakti is an emotion. I'm saying that what I've seen of your posts
indicates that you are looking for emotional, not logical, answers, when it comes to
mukti and bhakti.

Three authorities you cite below, Madhusudana Sarasvati, Sringeri Mahasannidhanam
and Kadalangudi Sastrigal, are stellar advaitins, from whose works and life accounts
we can all learn. You are no doubt reading up on what each of them has had to say
about bhakti and what role it plays in the life of a jnAnI or a mumukshu / jijnAsu. Yet,
your questioning is about the very nature of mukti in advaita vedAnta and there is an
undertone in all your posts, that what advaita says about mukti / nirguNa brahman /
AtmajnAna is lacking in some way about something. That is what I was targeting in
saying that you need to follow your heart and see where it leads.

As for the bhAgavatam citations, I will let others who are more well-verses in that
purANa to answer. I did guess that one of your probable sources was the verse
2.3.10. I'll simply say that this verse, as well as 3.29.13, should be read not
separately, but in context, taking into account the verses that precede and follow
each of them.

I am really puzzled about what you see in verse 4.9.29. That verse is about dhruva
feeling remorseful that he did NOT seek eternal mukti from the mukti-pati, but had
instead directed his tapas towards perishable ends. The bhAgavatam is NOT telling
us that dhruva spurned moksha so as to do "loving devotional service" to bhagavAn.
Please read this verse in its full context as well.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar