[Advaita-l] Is there a Cityupanisad?

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 12:31:56 CDT 2012

You are welcome. The actual bhAShya runs:

anyathA-viShayatve rUpAdivat-anityatva ca syAt, na-etad-uktam | "sarve
vedA yatraikaM bhavanti sa mAnasIna AtmA" iti ca shruti
nityAtmanaikatva bruvantI R^igAdInA nityatve sama~njasA syAt.

As you can see, the reference is to the vAkyas that I surmised, but it
is not called the cittyupanishad explicitly by Sankara.

It is not cit + upaniShad which would be citupaniShad. It seems likely
that it is citti + upaniShad = cittyupaniShad. The chapter (3) starts
with "citti sruk" and so on. So it may be called thus by Swami
Gambhiranandaji. In any case, it is not known by that name at least in
the South Indian circles. The Tamils call that prashnam citti-pAtham.

Rama