[Advaita-l] Mayavada Darpanam

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 07:56:35 CST 2013

Sringeri Acharyas encourage sadas where other vaidhika traditions are
criticised especially the Madhwas but support Christianity and Islam. This
creates a mindset among traditional scholars such as your hood self who
suffer from cultish confirmation bias of attacking other vaidhika
traditions while respecting Abrahamic cults. Srila Prabhupada ISKCON did
the same of attacking "mayavadis" but glorifying Jesus and Mohammad.

I will post a few references from Dialogues with the guru and am amused
that you say my allegations are wild.

Page 146 "He (Tippu) might have committed excesses, but as I have already
pointed out, even they must have been due to his intense faith in God and
in his own religion as the only means of attaining Him." History tells us
what these "excesses" were and faith is no excuse to rape pr slaughter
innocents. The editor (R. Krishnaswamy Iyer then Swami Jnanamda
Bharathi) makes apologetic remarks at the end of the chapter.

While you say that Islam and Christianity should be condemned, the acharya
has (wrongly) dusarmed you. Page 29 "Do you think that God has favoured you
with such a high power of intellect that you can claim to sit in judgement
over the intellects of Christ, Mohammad and other religious teachers?" Sam
Harris argues in The End of Faith" how a high school student knows more
than the authors of Bible and Quran did. If you thought their (Jesus &
Mohammad) were so high that you can't even attempt to debate them, what
makes you think that Madhwa's, Jiva's or Ramanuja's intellect low enough
for you to indulge in polemics?

Sri Jaldhar Vyas says that all monotheistic religions are wrong blindly
equating vaishnavism, saivism etc. with Christianity and Islam. He displays
ignorance of difference between exclusive sectarian  and inclusive
non-sectarian monotheism. Anyway, Sringeri Acharya does not even think
these religions are wrong or one should give them up. On Page 33 He said to
one who was intelligent enough to understand the fallacy of
Chritianity, "Go, therefore, in search of such true Christians and ask them
in true humbleness of heart to solve your doubts." If a "true Christian",
whatever that is as the religion is laid on a foundation of bluffs, can
solve your problems, why not a true Madhwa or Sri Vaidhnava?

We should be brave and pursue truth. As Sringeri Acharya quotes Kalidasa
elsewhere, "All that is ancient is not good nor is a work censurable
because it is modern. The wise accept an alternative after examination; the
unwise are guided by the beliefs of others."