[Advaita-l] On rationality; was "Vedas are not apauresheya according to the Vedas ?"

S Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 23:59:58 CST 2013

The above seems somewhat misleading. The point to appreciate regarding
> reasoning is that any logical system has to start with at least one
> axiom, which has to be taken as a given. A self-consistent system is
> one that does not contradict its own axiom(s).

Sir:

Allow me to disagree here. I may also create a self consistent pipe dream
that has no relation to reality.

Fortunately Vedanta does not have to depend on such vagaries. If I start
with concepts of brahma or maya or mithya, I may need to rely on some
axiom. However, when I start from my simple experience as it is happening
right now, I do not need any axiom. I exist and I know that I exist. Now
based on someone's philosophical background they may have objections about
the existence of "I". For them we can reword it that right now something
-as against to nothing- is being experienced. What is being experienced
right now may be an illusion or dream or mithya or brahma does not matter.
Something is being experienced - it is indisputable. Then Shruti comes and
tells that this awareness is limitless and I immediately and indisputably
recognize that indeed there is no limit in this experiencing awareness.
Then Shruti comes further and tells that this awareness is impersonal and I
recognize it to be so. I need not believe anything that Shruti says unless
I directly see its truth. I only have to entertain it as a tentative
hypothesis and verify whether my experience tallies with it or not.

praNAm