[Advaita-l] On rationality; was "Vedas are not apauresheya according to the Vedas ?"

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:46:33 CST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM, <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, yes. I'm not arguing that the logic used for establishing
> apauresheyatva cannot be countered. It will be and should be an ongoing
> business for the true vedantins  to re-establish it.

I look at the issue this way:  If it is 'mere' logic then there is no doubt
about the danger of its being unsettled by stronger logic.  But the case we
have is tarka that is shruti anugRhIta.  Such a tarka that has been coming
down to us has not been uprooted or unsettled.  And the sampradaya will not
see such a happening in the future too as the sampradaya is strong enough
on this ground.  Only if someone brings up arguments against the  prevalent
view by shruti-based logic there will arise a real debate.  In the absence
of it I see no need for any effort to re-establish it since there is no
de-establishment that has occurred.

regards
subrahmanian.v