[Advaita-l] Re The stance of the upadeshasaahasrii on Ignorance, Deep Sleep

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 20:32:10 CDT 2013

I think what Shankara has said in more than one place in the bhashya-s that
'there cannot be a bhAvotpatthiH from abhAva' is at the basis of Karthik's
question.  From a non-bhAvarUpa avidyA/ajnAna there cannot be any effect
(adhyAsa) produced.

I recall (not verbatim, though) Sri SSS's early paper in English where he
says: 'Of course, there has to be something that precedes adhyAsa.  But
that something is not the pathetic mUlAvidyA.  Brahman will be shattered to
pieces if such a state were to be admitted.'

It was this that made me conclude that Sri SSS has mistaken the words of
those who talk of bhAvarUpa mUlAvidyA to be suggesting an ontological real,
apart from brahman.  Otherwise his fear of brahman being *shattered to
pieces *will not be in place.

regards
vs