[Advaita-l] Paroksha to Aparoksha

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 06:04:14 CDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:16 AM, <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> In performance of action, there is definite result that one can know such
> as attainment of wealth, heaven etc. In performance of bhakti, there is
> clear result in terms of seeing and serving bhagavan. Even in paroksha
> jnana, there is clear knowledge of conclusion of advaita vedanta that  can
> be verified by others. How can one know that one is an aparoksha jnani?
> After repeated manana and nidhidhyasana, one may delude oneself in to
> thinking I am a jnani and it is only my mind and body acting out its nature
> though he may have kama and krodha. Is it not?

Sri Vidyaranya (I think) has said in the Panchadashi that certain things
like the presence of jnAna, ajnAna, hunger, thirst, joy, sorrow in oneself
are all directly known (aparokSha) to oneself (and not to others).  For
others it is only inferentially (parokSha) known.

Having said this, there is an episode in the Mahabharatha where a bhikShukI
named 'sulabhA' (Shankara refers to her in the BSB) shAntiparvan
(MokShadharma)  12-320-7 onwards therein where she engages a king who
thought he was enlightened and finally establishes the contrary.

regards
vs