[Advaita-l] Sanskrit grammar and bhiksha

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon May 6 05:11:40 CDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>wrote:

> In the famous अन्नपूर्णाष्टकम्,  should the reading  be भिक्षां देहि
> कृपावलम्बनकरि मात: अन्नपूर्णेश्वरि where the annapUrNeshvari should be in
> the sambodhanA?  Would anyone pl. clarify?

On consulting a scholar I understood that the entire stotram where
AnnapUrNa'is several names appear are to be seen as prathamA vibhakti names
and will be in the form  कृपावलम्बनकरी...अन्नपूर्णेश्वरी...  (notice the
deergha ending).  In the refrain of every shloka we have to supply 'त्वं’
'you' and understand भिक्षां देहि...and the last word in every verse will
be comprised of माता , अन्नपूर्णेश्वरी ( C + अन्नपूर्णेश्वरी =
मातान्नपूर्णेश्वरी.)
where ' माता ' itself is another name. 'एवंविशेषणविशिष्टा त्वं भिक्षां
देहि..’

regards
subrahmanian.v