[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Thu Nov 28 06:54:59 CST 2013

Namaste,

////////////////

You tell me, of what use is ipad, iMAC and iPOD and all those i stuff have
to do with sanyAsa. What is the use of mobile? is it necessary? can you
survive without mobile? if yes, then drop it. Again, why you need iphone?
why not Rs 1000 phone acceptable

///////////////

When you say that sanyAsa is "mAnasika dasha", keeping the above paraphernalia should
not be a problem.  One can have these and yet be non-attached to electronic gadgets.

Some of the ancient vedic texts, shAstrAs have been kept online in archives / DLL libraries
and to access them, laptops & internet is required.  So, if proper "sad-viniyOga" of
that electronic gadget is done, then, IMHO, it is not a pratibandhaka.

Yes, getting obsessed with these gadgets leads to vAsana which is wrong.

On the flip side:

Getting too much attached to one's own daNDa and kamaNDala, over-indulgence
in maDi, AchAra, shaucha for sanyAsi is also a vAsana which leads to "shraddha-jaDatva".

Since you were insisting on "mAnasika-dasha", though of sharing just my 2 cents...

That said, there is an entire code of conduct compiled by Sri Visweshwara Saraswati called "yati dharma sangraha" which details out who has to take a formal sanyAsa and how his conduct should be.

regs,
sriram