[Advaita-l] Narayanaya in Advaita

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 00:59:56 CST 2014

I think the subject line word should be 'nArAyaNa' and not with 'ya' in the
end in which case it would mean 'for nArAyaNa', in the chaturthI vibhakti.

In the sAyaNa bhAShya for the nArAyaNa sUktam occurring in the Taittiriya
AraNyaka it is given, for the line 'nArAyaNaH param brahma...':

'purANEShu nArAyaNashabdena vyavahriyamANo yaH sa eva param utkRShTam
satyajnAnAnandAdivAkyaiH pratipAdyasya brahmaNaH tattvam.  Ato 'nArAyaNaH
para' evAtmA na tu aparo mUrtivisheShaH....'

That means: //The one mentioned in the purANa-s by the name nArAyaNa is the
Supreme Brahman denoted by the upanishadic words/passages 'satyam, jnAnam,
Ananda, etc.' and is the true nature of Brahman.  Therefore 'nArAyanNa' is
the Supreme AtmA and not the relative deity with a specific form.//

In the VishnusahasranAma bhashyam Shankara has given several etymological
and other verses for the name/word.  They denote nArAyana as the
source/cause of the universe and therefore the one who has the created
universe as His abode since the cause pervades the effect.

regards
subrahmanian.v