[Advaita-l] Narayanaya in Advaita

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 10:45:22 CST 2014

In the Vivekachudamani we have a verse  नारायणोऽहं नरकान्तकोऽहम्...[I am
nArAyaNa the slayer of naraka/asura] .where it would hardly be correct to
think the name 'nAraayaNa' means the Lord who is the consort of Lakshmi.
In Advaita expressions like  नारायणोऽहं , शिवोऽहम् do not refer to the
personal God.

In the above verse 'nArAyaNa' refers to JnanasvarUpam/akhaNDAkAravRttiH and
'naraka' / narakAsura refers to ignorance/avidyA.

subrahmanian.v