[Advaita-l] Doubt in Isha Upanishad

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 01:15:16 CST 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Nithin Sridhar
<sridhar.nithin at gmail.com>wrote:

> In the advaita academy link i got this-
>
> http://advaita-academy.org/Articles/Ishavasyopanishat--Series-%28Part-1%29.ashx
>
> *पूर्णस्य = कार्यात्मनो ब्रह्मणः, पूर्णम् = पूर्णत्वम्, आदाय = गृहीत्वा,
> आत्मस्वरूपैकरसत्वम्-आपाद्य विद्यया, अविद्याकृतम्
> भूतमात्रोपाधि-संसर्गजम्-अन्यत्वावभासम् तिरस्कृत्य, पूर्णमेव =
> अनन्तरम्-अबाह्यम् प्रज्ञानघनैकरसस्वभावम् केवलम् ब्रह्म अवशिष्यते।*
>

> pūrṇasya, of the infinite; kāryātmano brahmaṇaḥ, the Brahman which is the
> effect; pūrṇam = pūrṇatvam, infinitude; ādāya = gṛhītvā, having realized;
> vidyayā, by knowledge; ātmasvarūpaikarasatvam-āpādya, having realized it as
> essentially the same as Supreme Atman; anyatvāvabhāsam, the apparent
> feeling of separateness; saṃsargajam, arising out of the identification;
> bhūtamātropādhi, (with the) limiting adjuncts of the beings; avidyākṛtam,
> (which is) the effect of ignorance of Atman; tiraskṛtya, having rejected;
> pūrṇameva, the infinitude alone; anantaram, that which has no recess;
> abāhyam, that which has nothing outside it;
> prajñāna-ghana+ekarasa-svabhāvam, that which is of the nature of a vast
> expanse of consciousness; kevalam brahma, Brahman which is the only One;
> avaśiṣyate, remains.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Here, it says that, Shankara explains aadaya as "gruhitva" or "perceiving".
> Can anybody tell me, which is a proper meaning of "aadaya" is it "removal"
> or "perceiving/understanding".

I think the meaning 'perceiving' is the one that goes with the very heart
of the first mantra of the IshavAsya.  There, as per Shankara, the
Upanishad teaches that one should 'perceive the entire world to be none
other than Brahman, its substratum'.  This perceiving is what is worded as
'draping the entire world' with Brahman-Consciousness.  The word 'IshA' of
the mantra, in the tRteeyA, instrumental, vibhakti, is to be correctly
understood as 'IshabuddhikaraNaka' and not wrongly as 'IshakartRka'.  In
other words, the 'draping/covering' of the world is not by Ishwara but with
the right perception that everything is none other than Isha, Brahman.

Shankara has said in the BG 4.24 (brahmArpaNam brahma haviH..) bhAShyam
that the perception of the jnAni is: that which is (wrongly) perceived as
ladle, etc. is actually Brahman.  He gives the example: that which is
wrongly known as silver is none other than nacre.  He goes on to say: just
as one perceives the absence of silver in nacre...

Thus, the perception that is articulated in the Isha mantra or the
pUrNamadaH mantra is nothing but the understanding of the reality of the
substratum and the absence of the superimposed creation in all three
periods of time: traikAlikaniShedha in the substratum.  Scholars have
pointed out this as the crucial difference between Advaita and buddhism: na
dvaitam iti advaitam would represent buddhism.  But 'na vidyate dvaitam
*asmin* iti advaitam would correctly represent Vedanta.  For Vedanta bases
its teaching on the substratum, Brahman, as the adhikaraNa for creation.
 Such a substratum is not specified in buddhism.  That is the reason it
goes by the name shUnyavAda popularly.  This is just an aside.

regards
subrahmanian.v