[Advaita-l] Doubt in Isha Upanishad

Nithin Sridhar sridhar.nithin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 12:07:25 CST 2014

In the advaita academy link i got this-
http://advaita-academy.org/Articles/Ishavasyopanishat--Series-%28Part-1%29.ashx

*पूर्णस्य = कार्यात्मनो ब्रह्मणः, पूर्णम् = पूर्णत्वम्, आदाय = गृहीत्वा,
आत्मस्वरूपैकरसत्वम्-आपाद्य विद्यया, अविद्याकृतम्
भूतमात्रोपाधि-संसर्गजम्-अन्यत्वावभासम् तिरस्कृत्य, पूर्णमेव =
अनन्तरम्-अबाह्यम् प्रज्ञानघनैकरसस्वभावम् केवलम् ब्रह्म अवशिष्यते।*

pūrṇasya, of the infinite; kāryātmano brahmaṇaḥ, the Brahman which is the
effect; pūrṇam = pūrṇatvam, infinitude; ādāya = gṛhītvā, having realized;
vidyayā, by knowledge; ātmasvarūpaikarasatvam-āpādya, having realized it as
essentially the same as Supreme Atman; anyatvāvabhāsam, the apparent
feeling of separateness; saṃsargajam, arising out of the identification;
bhūtamātropādhi, (with the) limiting adjuncts of the beings; avidyākṛtam,
(which is) the effect of ignorance of Atman; tiraskṛtya, having rejected;
pūrṇameva, the infinitude alone; anantaram, that which has no recess;
abāhyam, that which has nothing outside it;
prajñāna-ghana+ekarasa-svabhāvam, that which is of the nature of a vast
expanse of consciousness; kevalam brahma, Brahman which is the only One;
avaśiṣyate, remains.

Here, it says that, Shankara explains aadaya as "gruhitva" or "perceiving".
Can anybody tell me, which is a proper meaning of "aadaya" is it "removal"
or "perceiving/understanding".

Thank you.