[Advaita-l] Body is the disease

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 10:16:19 CST 2014

H S Chandraouli

Dear Sri Rudra,

<< But Brahman with Avidhya is Jiva is somewhat difficult to accept
.Perhaps this is Avidhya.>>

You may consider jiva in a slightly different perspective. Antahkarana,
which is a karya of Avidya, is inert. But it has the capability to behave
like a sentient ( conscious ) thing under the influence of Consciousness (
Chaitanyam/ Brahman ). Hence Antahkarana ( Avidya ) under the influence of
or in association with Consciousness/Chaitanyam/Brahman goes under the name
of jiva. Thus jiva is  considered Avidya + Chaitanyam/Brahman. In other
very popular definitions , reflection of Chaitanyam in Antahkarana (
pratibimba vada )  or " coloration " of Chaitanyam in Antahkarana ( similar
to the redness of a hibiscus flower appearing in a prism placed close to it
) ( abhasa vada ) are also included in addition to the above two components
in defining the components of a jiva. Then jiva becomes Avidya (
antahkarana ) + abhasa/pratibimba of Chaitanyam/Brahman in antahkarana +
Chaitanyam/Brahman. Perhaps you could find yourself more comfortable with
the concept of jiva this way.

Regards