[Advaita-l] Body is the disease

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 01:39:36 CST 2014

Dear Sri Srinatha Vedagarbhaji,

The question arose becuse of your reply to Sri Bhaskarji's query. I quote

<< > anAditva is in siddhAnta, no doubt, but at the same time it is also in
the
> siddhAnta that notion of anditva is valid only from  vyavahAra
> perspective.
>
> praNAms Sri Srinath Vedagarbha prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> I failed to see where exactly Sri Ananda Hudli prabhuji said that nAnA
> jeeva and their respective avidyA-s are pAramArthically anAdi??  Ofcourse
> sarva loukika, vaidika vyavahAra, shAstra & even bandha-mOksha everything
> within the realm of vyavahAra only.  The explanation that has been given
> with regard to jeeva-avidyA and anAditva too falls under vyavahAra only.
> What exactly is the problem here??  could you please elaborate.

In a vAda, when one provides a tarka/anumAna to substantiate his/her stand,
it is expected in vidvad circles that hEtu used  in such argument is indeed
accepted as "true" (tAtvIka), at least in such person's own siddhAnta if
not in opponent's siddhAnta.

So in this line, when anAditva was used, I was just pointing to the fact
that it is not tAtvIka as it implies on the face of it, for such notion of
anAditva comes with a baggage, for it is conceived when one in vyavahAra,
which by definition avidyA drusTi. So, basically it boils down to the fact
that one cannot argue based on elements which are not "true" in reality. >>

You will notice that your argument was that one cannot argue on the
question because the elements are not " true  It was not presented as Purva
Pakshin view, but as your view. If you had not accepted this as your view
you could have as well answered the question directly.

Practically all the points you have mentioned above have been raised as
Purva Paksha and answered by Sri Bhagavatpada in several places and really
forms the basis of Advaita Sidhanta itself. While I am sure you are
yourself aware of all the answers, it may not be practicable to cover all
these aspects in a brief way by mail. Maybe some other members could do so.
I will leave it at that.

Only one point I would like to touch upon. You wrote

<<
> Surely such a
> vada is admissible.   However such a vada need not lead to certainty of
the
> conclusion, but point to only a possibility of it being so.

If my understanding is correct, "possibility" (smabhava) is not pramANa in
any school of vEdAnta. Moreover, mere "possibility" of truth (such as
"Brahma sattyaM jagan mitthyam" etc) is not sufficient enough for a sAdhaka
to vest his life in a pursuit, which may or may not be true. >>

You are not interpreting me correctly. It is not the intention to say that
a sadhaka should start on his pursuit on the basis of a possibility. The
sadhaka should start on his pursuit on the basis of assertion by Shruti
which was my next sentence in the original mail.  It is only to show the
limitation of reasoning in such matters which are beyond the purview of all
pramanas. Such a vada is indeed accepted as silanalogic reasoning as
compared to sillogic reasoning which is the commonly accepted inferential
reasoning ( fire and smoke ) . It is presented to provide strength to other
arguments presented in support of a contention. In fact when it is said
that Truth is to be ascertained by Shruti, Yukti and Anubhava, my
understanding is that Yukti refers to this type of reasoning.

Regards