[Advaita-l] Madhvas custom of Sraddha is not correct

Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Fri Sep 19 01:00:14 CDT 2014

Namaste
On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 7:29 AM, R Krishnamoorthy via Advaita-l <

> Dear Sri Venkatesh Murthy
> What I have said is out of my  experience.I have been doing srardham for
> almost for the past 45 years.Ihave done them in
> Pune,Mumbai,Chennai,Dindigul,Madurai,Kotagiri,Mettupalayam and
> Coimbatore.What I find is for the past ten years this is the trend.If your
> experience is good be blessed.There are instances where the conducting
> purohit himself will represent a pithru/viswedeva and claim dakshina for
> both parts,One swallow does not make a summer.Iwill not say they are
> greedy.But they have also to measure up to the present levels of
> affluence-some are having cars too-and the result is what I have
> written.Dakshina is an important factor whether you accept it or not.Even
> if you conduct by way of Hiranya srardham they demand full dakshina is my
> experience.Of course we should give full respect for them and give them
> their dues.But capacity to do it varies from individual to individual. Your
> telling that the modern educated Brahmin spends so lavishly but cringes for
> srardham expenditure is not correct.Why you call them as animal is beyond
> my comprehension.For your information the NRIs among my relatives give good
> dakshina for all functions.Anyway there are deficiencies in
> bothsides.R.Krishnamoorthy,

The above is showing so much Prejudice against Sraddha Brahmins. You are
upset these Brahmins can have cars. What is wrong if a Sraddha Brahmin has
a car? We can have a car but he cannot? He has to remain poor all his life?
What logic is this?

You are making Dakshina a big issue. Nobody will become bankrupt by giving
Dakshina. If you spend few thousand rupees every year what is the problem?
Middle class people can easily bear this expenditure. They spend more money
in pleasure seeking activities like hotels, trips, movies, fashionable
clothes, Gold Jewelry, costly cars and so on.

The real issue is not Money. It is Prejudice and Contempt for Vaidika
Brahmins because of Western education. These people are willing to  be
slaves of western culture but they become so prejudiced about Vaidika
Brahmins. They expect Vaidika Brahmins to be Perfect and not have a single
defect. Vaidika Brahmins are also humans. They may make mistakes. So what?
It is not important. Our Sraddha rituals will not be a waste if there is
some defect here and there. In the Sraddha Mantras itself we are asking for
Forgiveness from Pitrus and Gods for defects.

> Sent from Windows Mail

-Venkatesh