[Advaita-l] Shortest Sentence in English is a Mahaa Vaakya?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 00:07:28 CDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Srivathsa Rao via Advaita-l <

> Sir,
>      Can anybody tell the meanings of mahavakhyas in breef...
> I heard that mahavakhyas completely explains advaita vedanta.I even heard
> that mahavakhyas tell jiva brahma ikhya.

The 5th chapter of Swami Vidyaranya's Panchadashi is a brief but accurate
explanation of the four popular mahāvākyas in just two verses each.  The
whole chapter has just eight verses:

*V. FIXING THE MEANING OF THE GREAT SAYINGS *
1. That by which a man sees, hears, smells, speaks and distinguishes sweet
and bitter tastes etc., is called consciousness. ['Prajnanam Brahma' -
Aitareya Upanishad III-i-1]

2. The one consciousness which is in Brahma, Indra and other gods, as well
as in human beings, horses, cows, etc., is Brahman. So the consciousness in
me also is Brahman.

3. The infinite, supreme Self remains manifested in this world as the
witness of the functions of the intellect in the body, fit for
Self-knowledge and is designated as 'I'.

4. By nature infinite, the supreme Self is described here by the word
Brahman. The word 'Asmi' (am) denotes the identity of 'Aham' (I) and
'Brahman'. Therefore 'I am Brahman' (is the meaning of the text). ['Aham
Brahmasmi' - Brihadaranyaka Upanishad I-iv-10]

5. Before the creation there existed the Reality, one only, without a
second and without name and form. That is even now (after creation) exists
in a similar condition is indicated by the word 'That'. ['Tattvamasi' -
Chandogya Upanishad VI-viii-15]

6. The principle of consciousness which transcends the body, senses and
mind of the enquirer is here denoted by the word 'thou'. The word 'Asi'
(art) shows their identity. That identity has to be experienced.

7. By (pronouncing) the word 'this' it is meant that the Atman is
self-luminous and directly experienced. That is known as Pratyagatman which
is the indwelling principle covering everything between egoity and the
body. ['Ayamatma Brahma' - Madukya Upanishad 2]

8. The essence of the entire visible universe is denoted by the word
Brahman. That Brahman is of the nature of the self-luminous Atman.

> But my question is ,is any mahavakhya tell mithyathva of jagath?

Without establishing the mithyātva of the jagat including the body-mind of
the aspirant, no mahāvākya can teach the aikya.

regards
subrahmanian.v