[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Ranjit V vranjit49 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 11:37:20 CDT 2016

Namaste

Vasudeva, the Royal sage, says in Gita :

नासतो विद्यते भावो नाभावो विद्यते सतः
उभयोरपि दृष्टोऽन्तस्त्वनयोस्तत्वदर्शिभिः

Shankara comments thus :

There is no bhava - no being, no existence of the unreal (asat) such
as heat and cold as well as their causes. They are vikAra and every
change is temporary. For instance no objective form such as an earthen
pot presented to the consciousness by the eye proves to be real
because it is not perceived apart from clay. Thus every effect is
unreal because it is not perceived as distinct from its cause. Further
the effect is not perceived before production and after destruction.
And likewise the cause such as clay is unreal because it is not
perceived apart from its cause.  This implies that the absolute
reality is not conditioned by causality. And therefore the perception
of the series of causes and effects must be illusion.

PS - Not sure if I am sending multiple emails. I am getting an error.