[Advaita-l] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} यच्चाप्नोति यदादत्ते....reference

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 10:16:11 CDT 2016

The following variant of the verse is found in the BORI supplementary
passages of the Mahabharata, Adi Parvan -

http://bombay.indology.info/mahabharata/apps/ASCII/Supp01.txt

01*0524_01 yad Apnoti yad Adatte yac cAti viSayANi ca
01*0524_02 yac cAsya satato bhAvas tasmAd Atmeti kIrtyate

Given that Sri Madhva also says that this verse (variant) is from the
Mahabharata, it is reasonable to conclude that the original source of
the verse quoted by Sri Shankara and Sri Madhva, was one particular
version of the Mahabharata, which is probably no longer extant.