[Advaita-l] Fw: Why did Krishna said that he was unable to repeat Gita?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Dec 13 00:10:38 CST 2016

praNAms Sri Siva Senani Nori prabhuji
Hare Krishna

In Gita, sannyasa means doing karma without phalaapekshaa. In fact Arjuna at one stage asks - "what is better: karma or karma sannyasa?" to which Bhagavan's reply is to the effect that they are not different. So the meaning of Arjuna's words करिष्ये वचनं तव may be taken to mean "I shall fight without expecting victory or defeat".

>  Yes, in geeta, for the 'Arjuna' Krishna meant saNyAsa is doing the karma without phalApekshA because at that time, on the battle filed the most suited advice for arjuna is karmaphala saNyAsa as he was the victim of shOka-mOha.  But bhAshyakAra in the geeta bhAshya itself insist on 'karma saNyAsa' or pArivrAjya.  Shruti also recommends 'nyAsa' and equates 'nyAsa with brahma...nyAsa iti brahma...avarANi parAmsi nyAsa evAtyarechayat, vedAnta vijnAna sunischitArthAH saNyAsayOgAdyatayaH shuddha satvAH etc. And at places, shruti directly recommends the Ashrama saNyAsa and its formalities : jAbAla says : atha parivrAd vivarNavAsA muNdOparigrahaH shuchiradrOhee bhaikshANO brahmabhuyAya bhavati, here also nirvarNa vastra, bhikshAcharya, tonsuring the head etc. clearly recommends Ashrama saNyAsa.   I still vividly remember one vAkya  by Sri Advayaanandendra Saraswati (Sri ChandramoULi avadhaani) after taking the saNyAsa formally at Holenarsipura, he said : IMO, if one would not take saNyAsa Ashrama even after reading shruti, smruti and bhAshya vachana with regards to Ashrama saNyAsa, it means he has not understood the importance of saNyAsa Ashrama in the jnana sAdhana mArga.  If I remember right, in the geeta itself bhAshyakAra says karmaphala saNyAsa would gradually leads one to 'karma saNyAsa or Ashrama saNyAsa.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar