[Advaita-l] sushupati anubhava of jnAni and ajnAni

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 02:45:13 CST 2016

Namaste Sreenivasaji,

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:22 PM, sreenivasa murthy <narayana145 at yahoo.co.in
> wrote:

> A friend of mine who is well versed in Shankara Vedanta,  who had gone
> through all the postings on the above subject told me thus recently : " Is
> it not much better and more beneficial if one *attains jnana first*

How else?!

> and then afterwards  to discuss the 'Sushupti anubhava of Jnani and
> Ajnani'  and come to an authentic conclusion ?

If there is an authentic conclusion, that is discussed in the same works of
the tradition that make up Vedanta study. And that is the entire pursuit.

> Iis it not futile to discuss as Secondhand persons who have gathered
> information from books instead of discussing as Firsthand persons ?

How would anyone know whether one is a "first hand person" or a "second
hand person"? As long as the people discussing are shrotriya or are trying
to be so, it is very helpful. That is, it is a further assumption that
people on the thread/ list are gathering information from books. Books are
reference tools unless people can hold and remember everything with their
medhAshakti.

> All these discussions done by others other than the one who has cognized
> what he is teaching / conveying  will it be not like  blind leading the
> blind as stated in the mantra1-2-8of Mundakopanishad".

Please refer the context of Mundaka mantra 1.2.8, if not in a book, then
with someone you put your trust in. It talks of those worldly people who
consider karma or aparavidyA as the last word and considers themselves to
be great. It is not in the context of people wanting to be free and raise
questions to learn that. On a related note, Bhagavatpadacharya considers
shrotiyatA to be one of the two qualifications to have, if not a more
useful one than brahmaniShThA.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */