[Advaita-l] Question? - Is Guru necessary?

RAMESH RAMANAN rameshramanan at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 31 03:02:32 CST 2016

Dear Sadanandaji,It is surprising that of all persons, you should be posting this question. But let me state Sri Ramana's views on the subject. He says that the real Guru is not apart from one's inner Self. The outer Guru pushes the Sadhaka inwards into the spiritual heart, while the inner Guru pulls the sadhaka inwards. (push and pull).

My understanding of this statement of Sri Ramana: If the sadhaka does not feel that he is being pushed inwards towards his inner core by the external guru, then that external person is not really fit or sufficient to be the Guru. Similarly, if he does not feel that he has been pulled inward, that means, his sadhanas have been insufficient and wrongly directed. If the chosen external guru  is not sufficient, it is not wrong to change Gurus, as Sri Balarama Reddy had asked Sri Ramana Maharishi, whether he could change his guru, as he had accepted Sri Aurobindo as his Guru earlier. Sri Ramana had said very emphatically, yes, there is no problem in changing Gurus. So, one need not cling onto a physical guru, if he is . not fit or sufficient to be a Guru, provided that you have lived with him and followed and tested his teachings at least for sometime (this time concept is a major issue). The Guru Gita also warns that a disciple of a blind fellow will also suffer the same fate as that of a blind fellow. Hence, one should follow only a really qualified Guru and not an unfit book-learned master. Sri Ramana and Sri Ramakrishna could transmit their spiritual power to their disciples. I do not know of any of the present day Gurus who can perform such real spiritual miracles that transforms the lives of their disciples for ever . Sri A.R.Natarajan of RMCL, Bangalore, has written a very very excellent book, Ramana Maharishi-The Living Guru.

I would very much like for you to read this book. You can find it at Giri Trading Agency in Mumbai and other branches, if you live outside Bangalore and if you are in Bangalore, you can look at www.ramanacentre.com/www.ramanacentre.org phones: 080-23512639, 23514930, 23360799 Email: office at ramancentre.com

Pranams and regards, Ramesh Ramanan