[Advaita-l] Understanding Reality in the Vision of Advaita Vedanta
H S Chandramouli
hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 02:23:38 CDT 2016
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Sujal Upadhyay via Advaita-l <
advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> In Advaita Siddhi, Śrī Madhusudana Sarasvatī has explained 5 meanings of
> mithyā. Śrī Anand Hudli ji has explained 3 meanings in his translation of
> Advaita Siddhi. Śrī Vidyārāṇya Svāmī in Panchadaśī has also explained
> mithyā as which is not completely true nor completely false.
> Has anyone compiled the list of these definitions in simple words?
Five definitions for मिथ्यात्वम् (mithyātvam) proposed by different
AchAryAs have been listed in advaita sidhi. They are as follows.
1. सदसद्विलक्षणम् वा मिथ्यात्वम् (sadasadvilakṣaṇam vā mithyātvam) by Sri
PadmapAdAchArya in PanchapAdika
2. प्रतिपन्नोपाधौ त्रैकालिकनिषेधप्रतियोगित्वम् वा मिथ्यात्वम् (pratipannopādhau
traikālikaniṣedhapratiyogitvam vā mithyātvam) by Sri VivaranAchArya in
3. ज्ञाननिवर्त्यत्वम् वा मिथ्यात्वम् (jñānanivartyatvam vā mithyātvam)
again by Sri VivaranAchArya in panchapAdikA vivarana
4. स्वाश्रयनिष्ठात्यन्ताभावप्रतियोगित्वम् वा मिथ्यात्वम् (svāśrayaniṣṭhā
tyantābhāvapratiyogitvam vā mithyātvam) by Sri ChitsukhAchArya in
tattvapradIpikA or chitsukhI
5. सद्विविक्तत्वम् वा मिथ्यात्वम् (sadviviktatvam vā mithyātvam) by Sri
AnandabhodAchArya in nyAyamakaranda.
I have not attempted any explanations of the definitions here. Left it to
others learned in Sanskrit to offer the same.
More information about the Advaita-l mailing list