[Advaita-l] Death in the family: rituals permitted

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Nov 17 21:25:01 CST 2016

Unfortunately, my great aunt has gone to Svarga

praNAms
Hare Krishna

'ashaucha nirNaya'  (in the case of death it is called 'sUtaka' in South India) will be decided based on your relationship with the departed soul.  If your aunt is from paternal relationship then sUtaka period will be more and it will be comparatively less time  if your aunt is from maternal side.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar

Unfortunately, my great aunt has gone to Svarga.

If there has been a death in the family, in my case paternal grandfather's sister, I understand certain rituals cannot be performed for a few days due to the ritual impurity that attached to mourners. However I'm not sure what rituals cannot be performed. I'm also unclear as to how long the impurity attaches. The practices central to my sadhana are the sandhyavandana, various Japas to forms of Lord Vishnu, Salagrama puja, and Ramayana parayana. Could someone please explain the effect of the elder's passing on my ability to perform these practices? Also, if one must stop, how long must one wait to resume these practices?

Thank you.

Shashi

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone