[Advaita-l] Supremacy of Shiva over Vishnu

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 11:22:48 CDT 2016

The modern academic pressure to appear original and innovate distorts
modern non-traditional approach to shAstra study. Publish or Perish is the
dictum academics have to work with. A 'modern' scholar who tries to publish
and merely reiterates the advaitic truth you have to understand and
assimilate that you are nirguNa brahman and that all theistic worship of
shiva or vishNu is equally valid at the vyavhAra level, will not get much
traction. On the other hand trying to do a search-and-find approach to
bhAShya study to interpret that Shankaracharya favored vaishnavism etc is
likely to fetch greater academic and professional rewards.

So what you wrote is quite true - that
'The incentive of academic research on Vedanta is completely different. The
writer is oriented towards demonstrating his individual contribution to the
body of knowledge. The greater the innovation he demonstrates, as long as
there is a credible justification, the greater is the reward - academic
papers, professorial positions etc.'
On 03-Sep-2016 9:27 pm, "Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l" <