[Advaita-l] How do you meditate?

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 02:18:34 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Venkatesh ji,

I understand what you say, but sanyAsa is a state of mind. It is absence of
desires. karma kANDa is negated in advaita. Besides there were advaitins
who have not taken sanyAsa, so advaita is not only reserved for sanyAsins
though sanyAsa is highly recommended. Sri Ramana Maharshi didnt perform any
karma kANDa, besides dosha is possible only when one has to live as a
householder, but if your mind is vairAgI, then you should quit kAmya
kamrma-s. If you give too much importance to anything, then when time comes
your mind will never become ready to quit it. So it has to be now or never.
If you think after retirement I will take sanyAsa, it will never happen. Pl
refer to Tai. Up. 1.11, Sankara bhAshya and sAyana / vidyAraNya's /
sureshvara's sub-commentary

OM covers everything, fruits of karma, and gAyatrI japa. All tytpes of
karma abd their fruits ends in samAdhi.

I know that Sringeri SankarAchArya has given a lots of importance to karma
kANDa for Brahmins. Sticking to vedic way of life is good. I acknowledge
your concern and appreciate what you are trying to say. Yes I am a Brahmin,
but I have been asked to simply chant OM, and if there is any dosha, my
guru will take care of it. I am safe.

This thread is started so that I wanted to know that apart from doing nitya
karma, does anyone meditates. Trust me, I am not trying to contradict you
or down playing the importance of karma kANDa. All I am saying is that I am
lucky :)

OM

Sujal Upadhyay

"To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi

He who has faith has all
He who lacks faith, lacks all
It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <