[Advaita-l] How many margas for mukti

Kripa Shankar kripa.shankar.0294 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 04:50:34 CDT 2016

Namaste Venkatraghavan,

There are two paths owing to the two kinds of conviction (jnana nishtha and karma nishta). This is supported by the scriptures. For both types, jnana is necessary. In jnana, there are two types paroksha and aparoksha. Only those who have aparoksha jnana are said to be jnanis (jnana nishtas). ‎That is why the Upanishads emphasize this - yeah, one who really knows or in other words satya sankalpa. In that sense, jnana is the only path. Because without the study of scriptures there can neither be karma nor jnana nishta.

I agree with rest of your points. My confusion arose because some Advaitins (or neo advaitins?) seemed to ‎prioritize bhakti and completely disregard the study of scriptures.

And as Sujal mentioned, the poorly defined bhakti marga of the Vaishnava movement got superimposed on the Vedic view. Similarly neo advaitins are generally mistaken to be Vaidiks.

Regards
Kripa

---
‎Vyasaya Vishnu roopaya Vyasa roopaya Vishnave
Namo vai Brahma nidhaye Vasishtaya namo namaha‎
‎