[Advaita-l] Fw: Fwd: Ramana Maharshi - Advaitin or Neo Advaitin?

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:53:38 CDT 2016

This is an old discussion i guess.

I liked the following take which i heard from one shrotriya - well atleast
he was teaching advaita siddhi to a few students. ;)

He said that Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi was born a brahmin and had been
initiated in to Gayatri and sandhya vandanam. In it are contained the
sacred omkaara and the vyAhRti-s bhUH etc. As also the formal vedic
initiation in to the  aikyAnusandhAnam viz., asAvAdityo brahma
brahmaivAhamasmi.

If the above aikyAnusandhAnam is not vedanta, thats news to me. In the
Dialogues with the Guru also the same idea is expressed. The same Sun can
be understood as just a ball of fire or as SaguNa brahman or nirguNa
brahman based on the level of maturity. Since Bhagavan was an
uttamAdhikArI, that omkara Gayatri japam with aikyAnusandhAnam was
sufficient to trigger at the appropriate time the jnana vRtti.

As for his pedagogy he may well have interacted with sAdhakas and shrotriya
pandits and arrived at the best ways to teach those particular people who
came to him requesting to be taught for example by translating Atmabodha,
selected bhagavadgItA shlokas etc.

There is no question of any divergence from the advaita tradition.

Om
Raghav

On 19-Sep-2016 6:30 pm, "Kripa Shankar via Advaita-l" <