[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharshi - Advaitin or Neo Advaitin?

Raghav Kumar raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 12:54:29 CDT 2016

More on Maharshi's view on reincarnation and his conformity with the
orthodox Advaita tradition from his book Self-enquiry.

'Self-enquiry is the first work the Maharshi ever wrote. It was written
about 1901, that is, when he was a young man of about twenty-two. At that
time he was living in  Virupaksha Cave on the hill of  Arunachala. Although
he had not actually taken a vow of silence, he seldom spoke, and so WROTE
his replies to certain questions put to him by Gambhiram Seshayya, one of
the earliest devotees.  The latter copied them in his diary.  After his
death this diary was obtained from his brother.  The questions and answers
were edited by Natanananda and published with Bhagavan’s approval under the
name of Vichara Sangraham, or  Self-Enquiry'

In that authoritative book we find the following on pages 10 and 11 he
talks of past lives -

'But the mind, which has got rid of its defilement (sin) through action
without attachment performed in MANY PAST LIVES, listens to the teaching of
scripture from a true guru, reflects on its meaning, and meditates in order
to gain the natural state of the mental mode of the form of the Self, i.e.,
of the form ‘I am  Brahman’ which is the result of the continued
contemplation of  Brahman.'

Kripaji, I would suggest that the above is pretty much par for the course
of orthodox Advaita Vedanta and certainly not neo-advaita.

We could argue that maybe the above book has interpolations. But in that
case, we should altogether stop quoting the one to one conversations of Sri
Ramana Maharshi as a way of arriving at whether he held this view or that
view. It becomes a wild goose chase.

Instead a more fruitful approach would be to see what a shrotriya Guru
would teach using a work like upadesha saram or satdarshanam which are two
of Maharshi's canonical works. I suggest you please listen to Swami
Paramarthananda teach upadesha saram or satdarshanam. Or you can request
Swamis Haribrahmendrananda ji or Swami Sharvananda ji of the Kailash Ashram
Uttarkashi tradition from whom i was fortunate to learn for a short time.
They are shrotriyas and teach these granthas as a direct means for avidyA
nivRtti.  I feel that should settle decisively show  that Sri Ramana
Maharshi was an advaitin since the Maharshi's works and teachings in verse
form sufficient for advaita pratipAdanam by several shrotriya Guru-s.

Sri Ramana Maharshi more often than not spoke from a dRShTi-sRShTi-vada
perspective as can be seen here. Its not as if he just went on
monotonically asking people to repeat who am i. That is a popular
misunderstanding. Please see the following

'D: If the entire universe is of the form of mind, then does it not follow
that the universe is an illusion? If that be the case, why is the creation
of the universe mentioned in  the  Vedas?
Maharshi:  There is no doubt whatsoever that the universe is the merest
illusion.  The principal purport of the Vedas is to make known the true
Brahman, after showing the apparent universe to be false. It is for this
purpose that the  Vedas admit the creation of the world and not for any
other reason.
Moreover, for the less qualified persons creation is taught, that is the
phased evolution of  prakriti  (primal nature),  mahat tattva  (the great
intellect),  tanmatras  (the subtle essences),  bhutas  (the gross
elements), the world, the body, etc., from  Brahman; while for the more
qualified simultaneous creation is taught, that is, that this world arose
like a dream on account of one’s own thoughts induced by the defect of not
knowing oneself as the Self.  Thus, from the fact that the creation of the
world has been described in different ways it is clear that the purport of
the  Vedas rests only in teaching the true nature of  Brahman after showing
somehow or other the illusory nature of the universe.  That the world is
illusory, everyone can directly know in the state of Realization which is
in the form of experience of one’s bliss-nature. '

As far as i am able to follow, the above does indeed represent sound
advaita teaching.
Om
Raghav