[Advaita-l] dRShTi-sRShTi definitions in the advaitasiddhi

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 13:01:08 EDT 2017

​​​Namaste Chandramouliji,

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 9:41 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just checked with my friend reg the translation of the statement by Sri
> MS. He says that the use of neuter gender is permissible for the Self. One
> mistake I have committed is in the use of the word "His" in that statement.
> It should read as " Its ". For that mistake I own responsibility. I am not
> sure if you agree with this stand. But I may not be able to discuss with
> him.

​I'm just responding for the closure of the topic. The question is not
whether or not neuter gender is possible for आत्मन्। I can very well use
ब्रह्म and then say that यद् ब्रह्म पश्यति तत् ब्रह्म सृजति and be done
with that. ​The question, however, is that whether it is necessary to
switch genders when it fits the context, especially with the Hindi
translation you yourself quoted! अज्ञात सत्ताक वस्तुएँ  न  मानकर, आत्मा  जब
 जो देख  रहाहै ऐसास्वीकारना दृष्टिसृष्टि  है ।  मधुसूधन  स्वामी  ने  "यदा
 यत्  पश्यति तत्समकालम॓  तत्सृजति"  यही  दृष्टिसृष्टि  का  तात्पर्य  बताया
 है| The Hindi is saying: "not accepting (न मानकर) [existence/ creation] of
unknown reality (अज्ञात सत्ताक) वस्तुएँ things, accepting [existence/
creation] (स्वीकारना) thus (एसा) whenever (जब) whatever (जो) oneself
(आत्मा) is seeing (देख रहा है) is (है) DS (दृष्टिसृष्टि)।

I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't see the point in referring to Hindi
translation if you have translated Sanskrit in a particular way, be it as
per your friend, and then interpreting the Hindi translation which cannot
in any which way be said to fit that Sanskrit translation you have. Pls
talk to people who know Hindi well too, who are on or off the list. Else,
if you still think that the Swamiji's Hindi translation is saying what you
have interpreted, I have nothing to say. Best wishes.

Further, I read through the entire range of DSV pages from AS as a first
round to see if my understanding contradicts MS' AS. I'm glad that it
doesn't (although I need to study technicalities of the debate, either when
Anandji posts it and/ or after I do a 2nd/3rd level of tarka study,
hopefully sometime next year). The above quotation is at the end wherein MS
says: सर्वलोकादिसृष्टिश्च तत्तद्दृष्टिव्यक्तिम् अभिप्रेत्य, यदा यत् पश्यति,
तत्समकालं तत् सृजति इत्यत्र तात्पर्यात्। My translation for this would be:
And due to the purport [of DSV] being in "when one sees whatever [thing/
object], at the same time he creates that", having accepted each of those
individual sights, there is entire creation of all the worlds, etc. (I
wonder if this statement of MS could also accommodate NJV, Anandji?) This
removes the possibility of interpreting the Sanskrit verse also the way it
has been interpreted by you.

​gurupAdukAbhyAm
,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */​