[Advaita-l] Fwd: Fwd: A question on PariNAma and vivarta

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 04:16:50 EST 2017

Namaste Sri Subrahmanian Ji,

Reg  << Incidentally, I heard a Tamil exposition of the Bhashya of
Chandogya by Sri Mani Dravid Sastrigal. At the end of that exposition he
says that the effect is thought/seen/spoken to be different from the cause
'due to bhrānti.'>>,

I also listened to the talks by Sri Mani Dravid Shastrigal on Chandogya and
I got the distinct understanding that he did not refer anywhere in the
talks about vivarta !! I am not disputing either that seeing effect as
different from cause is bhranti. But all instances of bhranti do not imply
vivarta. Full moon seen as just one foot wide, sun going round the earth
etc are some familiar cases of bhranti which do not imply vivarta. In fact
practically all cases of sOpAdhika bhranti fall under this category.

Anyway if we have come to different conclusions concerning the talks by Sri
Mani Dravid Shastrigal on vivarta/parinama of vAchArambhanam shruti, I do
not think I have anything further to add to support my understanding. I
rest my case.