[Advaita-l] Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: A question on PariNAma and vivarta

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 05:48:43 EST 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:46 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste Sri Subrahmanian Ji,
>

> Reg  << Incidentally, I heard a Tamil exposition of the Bhashya of
> Chandogya by Sri Mani Dravid Sastrigal. At the end of that exposition he
> says that the effect is thought/seen/spoken to be different from the cause
> 'due to bhrānti.'>>,
>

> I also listened to the talks by Sri Mani Dravid Shastrigal on Chandogya
> and I got the distinct understanding that he did not refer anywhere in the
> talks about vivarta !! I am not disputing either that seeing effect as
> different from cause is bhranti. But all instances of bhranti do not imply
> vivarta. Full moon seen as just one foot wide, sun going round the earth
> etc are some familiar cases of bhranti which do not imply vivarta. In fact
> practically all cases of sOpAdhika bhranti fall under this category.

Namaste

The vivarta idea 'the object without undergoing any change being perceived
to be something else' is common in all kinds of bhrama-s. The word
'vivarta' need not be employed necessarily. Shankara has used both
rajju-sarpa, shukti-rajata, one moon appearing as two, perception of dirt
in space, sphaṭika appearing as variedly coloured, etc in his bhashyas to
denote bhrama.

regards
vs