[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The Bhashyas of Adi Shankara

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 14:46:50 CST 2017

Thank you Sri Chandramouliji,

Regards,
Sunil KB
On Tue, 1/10/17, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] [advaitin] The Bhashyas of Adi Shankara
 To: "Vidyasankar Sundaresan" <svidyasankar at gmail.com>, "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>, "Sunil Bhattacharjya" <sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com>
 Cc: "Venkatraghavan S" <agnimile at gmail.com>
 Date: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 4:59 AM

 Sri Vidyasankar Ji,
 Sri Sunil Ji, and Sri Venkatraghavan
 Ji,

 Nama.ste.

 I was just reading
 a kannada book “Guruvilasa Tarangini
 (Karnataka Srimad Shankara Vijaya) “ by Sri Shesha Sharma,
 and came across the following
 story concerning Abhinava Shankara. I thought it may be of
 interest and hence
 reproduced the same here.  Translation
 from kannada is mine.

 << Some
 persons have comeout with several texts
  portraying the thirty third pontiff of Sri
 Kamakoti
 Peetham Sri Abhinava Shankara as Adi Shankara himself. This
 Abhinava Shankara
 was born in Chidambaram to Sri Viswajit and Srimathi
 Vishishtha. Since the
 father passed away while the child was still in the womb,
 the mother was
 frightened and did not give birth to the child in the normal
 course but
 protected the same for almost three years and thereafter
 gave birth in the year
 3896 after the start of Kaliyuga, Vibhava Samvatsara
 Vaishakha Shudha Dashami
 and left the child in a forest. It was found there and
  broughtup  by Sage Vyaghrapada
 who was on one of his
 travels, who duly performed the Upanayanam ceremony also in
 its fifth year. In
 due course Sri Bhagavatpada ( Adi Shankara ) along with Sri
 Padmapadacharya
 gave darshan to the child ( the word mentioned in kannada is
 vivikta darshana,
 I am mentioning it here since I did not understand its
 significance properly
 and could not translate it accurately) and gave the child
 his pAdukas. The
 child continued in Chidambaram doing pUjas to the pAdukAs
 where it came to the
 notice of the Pontiff of Kamakoti Peetham Swami Vidyadhana
 the Third who then
 gave him sanyasa diksha with the yOga patta of Abhinava
 Shankara and made him
 his successor. This Abhinava Shankara also became very
 famous like Sri
 Bhagavatpada (Adi Shankara). >>
 Unquote.

 Thought could be of