[Advaita-l] Who has Ajnana/Maya?

Sriram Sankaranarayanan ssriram1992 at icloud.com
Wed Mar 15 14:39:11 EDT 2017

Dear all,

Perhaps this question has been discussed in this group, but I would like to
know Shankara's answers to the following questions which I heard from a few
Dvaiti and visishtadvaiti orators.

   1. Who has Ajnana? If Jeeva has ajnana, that is inconsistent since the
   existence of Jeeva's identity is Ajnana and we cannot call Jeeva "has"
   ajnana any longer. But if paramatma has ajnana, that is a blemish on
   paramatma.
   2. If Maya is an attribute of Ishwara, then doesn't Mayatva contradict
   the nirgunatva aspect that Advaitins claim?

In the following talk (Tamil) Sringeri Mahasannidhanam addresses this a
little, but I wish if somebody can shed more light on this topic.
Identity of Brahman & Jiva by Jagadguru Shankaracharya of Sringeri
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_YoQrcj7xM>

Also please quote from Prasthanathraya Bhashyams or other granthas if
possible.

Thanks,
Sriram

Hamsah Soham