[Advaita-l] prayAshchitaM for sAvitribhraShTAH

Ramachandra Sastry ramachandra.sastry at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 03:27:50 EST 2017

Namaste,

There are predominantly 6 types of prayachittas described in Dharma sastras
for Upanayana's mukya/gouna kala atikrama.

1) Yamokta Shikaavapana poorvaka yavaka vratam
2) Manuuna vukata/ Katyayanooktha kruchracharanam
3) Apathambokta trividya Brahmacharyam
4) Vasistookta Uddalaka vratam, Avabrutam
5) Vaikhanasokta Uddalaka vratam
6) Yajnavalkya vukta Vyastyastomam

Dharmasastra granthas have detailed the above prayaschittas,however for
today's practical purposes many have suggested the kruchracharanam is the
way we can follow and if this is also not possible then do pratyamnayam as
said in shatras and conduct the upanayanam.

Hemadri in his famous prayaschitta-kanda had provided the details on the
upanayana kala atikrama prayaschitta.

*Please find the screenshots attached to the mail.*

In summary, if a person is getting upanayanam after 16 years, both father
and the son are required to do prayaschittam.
Firstly, the father has to do 3 Chandrayana vrata and for the son's shuddi
Gomukha janana sahita 3 Prajaapatyas to be performed before the upanayana
samskara is performed.

Since the above vratas are elaborate and difficult to do in the present
times, sastras have provided the pratyamnayam for the same.
According to Chaturvimshatimate, for prajapatyavrata 1 Go-dana, for paraaka
and tapta 3 Go-danas, for chandrayana 8 Go-daanas are the pratyamnayaas.
According the Smrityartha sara, 3 go-danas are the prathyamnaya for
Chandrayana.
Hence by doing the above Go-danas/Pratyamnayas the father and son are
entitled to get the Upanayana done.

Subsequently, in the place of pratyaksha Go-dana , Go-mulya dakshina
according to his capacity (yathashakthi) can also be performed.

Hope the above helps.

Dhanyavada
Ramachandra

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Nithin Sridhar via Advaita-l <