[Advaita-l] Chanting gayatri overseas

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 11:29:35 EDT 2017

Namaste Sri Kalyan ji,

Thank you for sharing your views.

Like you, I too am neutral to foreign travel. I have myself not traveled to
a foreign land even though my elder brother and father has for business
reasons.

Yes, shruti is eternal and I too respect it's injunctions. But then, I am
not getting any way how to move forward. What next?

Most Brahmins are doing job or do business. I do business. So that already
forfeits my brahminhood.

I do not practice sandhyA vandanam. I used to practice yoga and kuNDalini
meditation and then was shifted to chant OM.

What I feel is that we cannot follow smriti-s and shruti-s 100 %. There
will always be a compromise. What matters is how many injunctions we are
ready to compromise and how many injunctions we must hold on too.

deha dhARI-s i.e. the ones who are muDha adhikAri-s and are so called as
mUdha in bhaja govindam, are the ones whose consciousness is strongly
attached to physical body. They do not qualify to practice advaita. The
spiritual or dhARmika path of karma kANDa is so strict that today few are
willing to follow. Unless sufficient inner purification (of mind) is
attained,  one cannot practically live the life of a vedAntin.

Shastras are there for our own good. But not much can be or is being
practiced today as it used to be in old days prior to medieval period as ew
have now become materialistic and so there is loss of inner purity.

Anyways, thank you for sharing your opinion.

OM

Sujal