[Advaita-l] Significance of Mula Avidya

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 02:14:55 EDT 2017

The pertinent object is rajju avacChinna chaitanya Ashrita avidyA - that is
bhAvarUpa. This is removed by rajju avacChinna chaitanya vyApya vritti.
rajju jnAna is vastu tantra because there is no special effort required for
jnAna utpatti once  pramAtA, pramANa, prameya are aligned.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On 27 Oct 2017 6:21 a.m., "Ravi Kiran via Advaita-l" <

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:10 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> The Vedanta teaches that knowledge dispels ignorance. Hence, to be
> dispelled, such an avidyā has to be an existent, positive, bhāvarūpa.   If
> such ignorance is not admitted to be bhāvarūpa, knowledge cannot dispel
> anything.

In rajju-sarpa or shell-silver bhrama, if sarpa jnAna (in rajju) or rajata
jnAna (in shell) is accepted as positive bhAvarUpa vastu, how can arising
of rajju jnAna or shell jnAna later, dispel the ajnAna vastu, as jnAna is
vastu-tantra and not kartru-tantra or kAraka ?

The BG says: ज्ञानेन तु तदज्ञानं येषां नाशितमात्मनः ।