[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Sep 28 17:18:19 EDT 2017

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, Santosh Rao via Advaita-l wrote:

> Namaskara,
>
> I was recently advised that chanting Gayatri outside of India is not
> proper. Is there a basis for this, even for those born overseas? How would
> this affect duties such as sandhyavandanam?

There is a theory in dharmashastra that only bharatavarsha is the
karmabhumi (but what are the limits of Bharata?  The current Republic of
India is considerably smaller than its historical extent.) and therefore
mantras do not have any efficacy outside its limits.

For myself and my son, we do sandhyavandana and Gayatri japa without fail
despite living in America.  Bhagavan can decide if it has merit or not; we
shall continue doing our duty without expecting any particular phala.