[Advaita-l] How can the reality of brahman be proven?

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 22:39:06 EDT 2018

Namaste

There is also another misunderstanding. We are not saying Jagat is not
existing. Jagat is not existing as Itself but as Brahman it is always
existing. Jagat is like the snake seen in Illusion. It is a rope. It is
Brahman.

You are in a room without enough light. You see something lying in front of
you. You think it is snake? Is it a piece of cloth? Some object you have
never seen before? You don't know.

But you know surely one thing. SOMETHING is there. You don't want a proof
of this. What it is you don't know? You cannot say there is NOTHING.

Similarly Sruti will tell you what that thing is. It will say it is a rope
but not a snake. Sruti will not give proof for SOMETHING is there. It is
not necessary.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Namaste
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 11:47 PM, Kalyan via Advaita-l <
>
>> Advaitins often claim that the reality of the world cannot be proven.
>> Fair enough.
>>

>> I want to ask - how can the reality of brahman be proven?
>> Is it just a matter of faith in Sruti/smriti? (If yes, then the reality
>> of brahman is also a matter of faith. It is not proven. If no, please
>> explain how the reality of brahman is proven.)
>>

> The answer becomes easy if you change Brahman to Self. Because in Advaita
> both are one and the same. How can you prove you yourself exist? Do you
> need a proof? Or not? Do you have doubt you are existing or not? Do you
> need faith in Sruti to tell you you are existing?

>> For assistance, contact:
>> listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org
>>

> --
> Regards