[Advaita-l] How can the reality of brahman be proven?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 02:40:42 EDT 2018

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 8:21 AM, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Everything waters down to Sat, Existence. None can succeed in proposing
> the destruction/non-existence of Sat. It is on this extremely sound, strong
> logical basis that the Vedanta has established the eternality, nityatvam,
> satyatvam, of Brahman. If one contemplates on the Sat one will easily see
> that one is that Sat, which is the teaching of Tat Tvam Asi. Sat is Tat.
> The shruti is only an aid in bringing our attention to Sat.

The Upanishad, for example, the Taittiriya, has a very powerful statement:
असन्नेव स भवति असद्ब्रह्मेति वेद चेत् | अस्ति ब्रह्मेति चेद्वेद सन्तमेनं
ततो विदुरिति |

'He who denies (the existence) of Brahman (which is verily Existence), is
himself denying his own existence; he becomes non-existent. On the other
hand, he who knows Brahman exists (in the form of I am Brahman, the
unnegatable Existence), is celebrated as the Existence Itself (by the
knowers of Brahman).'

It is such declarations in the Vedanta that has made it attractive for
thinking minds from all over the world. Especially the Advaita Vedanta does
not promote dogmatic belief for a person to be a thinker of the Vedantic
Truth. All other systems, being abrahamic and theological, have no room for
thinking minds as they impose belief in the existence of Vaikuntha or any
other deity's abode for one to pursue their system. If the loka and deity
are removed from their systems they cease to exist.  In Advaita alone no
particular deity or loka is insisted for one to pursue the Atma Vichara. A
deity is a support for someone who has not yet found his bearings. The word
'Deva' is from the root 'div' which means that which is splendrous. That is
the Atman, Brahman, the Self-luminous (not physical luminosity)
Consiousness, Existence. It is in Advaita alone one can realize his
ever-existent, ever-liberated, never-bound, reality even when alive. In
other systems, there is the contingency of his going to some abode that is
not here. Shankara has said in the Mundakopanishat that such propositions
are unvedantic.

vs