[Advaita-l] The 'Snake-and-ladder' game - The Spiritual path

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Aug 7 02:19:08 EDT 2018

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l wrote:

> Copied and pasted from FB page of Ajay Khemka
> <https://www.facebook.com/ajay.khemka.75?fref=mentions>
>
>The British (intentionally to break our rich culture & education
> system) later named it Snakes and Ladders instead of the original Moksha
> Patam.

When I was growing up in England we went on a school trip to the Museum of
Childhood (part of the Victoria and Albert Museum) in London.  They had an
exhibition of childrens games through the ages and it was there I first
learned about the Indian origins of Snakes and Ladders.  The early
victorian versions clearly acknowledged the games Indian origin.  (I
remember one was subtitled "The Hindoo Game of Virtue and Vice.") They
were decorated in Indian motifs (albeit stereotypical ones such as
elephants and snake charmers.) Yes they altered it to fit Christian
morality but the idea that it was some sinister plot is pure paranoia.
Such overwrought reactions are actually counter-productive because then no
one will take the real cases of cultural appropriation  seriously.

Unfortunately, they do not seem to have made images from their collection
available on the net but this link:

https://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/collections/snakes-and-ladders/

gives a short introduction.  As you can see the Hindu origins are not at
all obscured.