[Advaita-l] Sri Ramana stressed importance of a Guru

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 22:07:33 EDT 2018

One other point is that Sri Ramana always stressed the primacy of the Guru.
He always said he had a Guru viz., Arunachala Bhagavan.

This fact is sometimes lost sight of that shAstra vichAra as a means for
GYAnam does not mean studying and poring over scriptural  books, it
primarily means gurumukhAt shravaNam, listening and studying under a Guru.
Its rightly called a karNa paramparA  - knowledge by "listening" viz.,
shAstra has no independent status to inform without the mediacy of the
Guru. As far as the student is concerned, it's the Guru's words and
explanations which are "shAstra" . The accomplished traditional Guru may
sometimes not even directly quote a single scriptural Shlokas or
commentaries during his teaching , but he is so much in tune with the
shAstra vision that his words will still convey it.

 Once the basic framework of Advaita is in place in the students' mind
thanks to the teacher(s), then alone the key to self-study is available and
a student can safely venture in to some degree of self-study .

I say all this to preempt a common  objection that brahmaGYAnam cannot be
gained by poring over books. True enough but, the take of the tradition is
differently framed viz.,
Aatma vichAra = shAstra vichAra = gurumukhAt shravaNam (receptively
"listening" to the words of the teachers)

No body is saying metely poring over shAstra books will give AtmaGYAnam.

On Fri 10 Aug, 2018, 11:47 PM Aditya Kumar via Advaita-l, <