[Advaita-l] Samvadi Bhrama

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:14:46 EDT 2018

I don't see why only a bhrama whose results are agreeable or desirable must
be a saMvAdi bhrama. Consider this example. One has constructed a house on
top of a mountain. One day, he is at the foot of the mountain viewing the
top casually. He happens to see smoke coming from the top of the mountain,
which in fact, turns out to be dust, not smoke. However, there is actually
fire- his house is burning. In this case, the saMvAdi bhrama is to mistake
the dust for smoke. This is followed by an inference of fire on the
mountain. There is doSha-janyatva, in the case of seeing the dust as smoke.
There is  no viShayabAdha, the fire is really found. However, the result is
not agreeable/desirable to the person, because it is his house that is
burning!

Anand