[Advaita-l] Samvadi Bhrama

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 09:05:02 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 5:45 PM Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <

<< I don't see why only a bhrama whose results are agreeable or desirable
must
be a saMvAdi bhrama.>>

  That is how it is termed in Panchadashi.  Verse 9-6.

Translation by Swami Rama  << 6. Mistaking the gleam of a lamp for a gem is
called a Visamvadi Bhrama, ‘misleading error’ (or an error that does not
lead to the goal). Mistaking the gleam of a gem for a gem is called a
'leading’ or ‘informative’ error, though both are errors (or wrong
observations). >>.

Quote from The Panchadashi  by Sri TMP Mahadevan  Ch 9 pp 149

<< SamvAdibhrama is a delusion which yields a fruitful result >>.

I have not come across in Panchadashi  SamvAdibhrama being defined as

<< In a saMvAdi bhrama, there is doSha-janyatva, arising from a defect
(mistaking the light from a gem to be the gem itself), but there is no
viShaya-bAdha, negation of the object (gem), whereas in a visaMvAdi bhrama,
there is both doShajanyatva and viShaya-bAdha. >.

I am not sure if I have overlooked such a definition in Panchadashi.