[Advaita-l] Question on adhyaasa

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 02:45:14 EST 2018

   -
PraNAms

I just completed that sloka.

Here is my understanding.

1. Space is infinite. Similarly, chit is infinite.

2. Yet when we place an empty pot, we think, space enclosed in a pot depending on the size of the pot. That is ghaTaakaash. The pot space limited by the pot walls and therefore depends on the size of the pot

3. The fact is space accommodates the pot and the pot-space. It is all pervading and not limited by the pot walls. Yet from the point of vyavahaara, pot-space is limited and enclosed within the body of pot.

4. When the pot is full of water, the amount of water depends on the pot-space. (I was told that the dvaitins think each jeeva is like pot - some are small pot, and some are big - why – Sorry - that is the way it is. The maximum ananda they can have in moksha is limited by how much each pot can accommodate.

5. Yet one can see the whole reflection of the outer space in the pot water – will all the clouds and plants that is all the inert and live entities. If there are birds they also will be seen – hence the example covers being and non-beings with entire space along with clouds, stars etc. The vision depends on the vision span of the top of pot-water area. That is jalaakaasha mentioned in the sloka.

6.  Jalakaasha is the reflection of mahaakaasha which is infinite. In the vision of jaalakaasa the original pot-space is covered.

7. The pot space is unaffected by the neither the water in the pot nor the refection of mahaakaasha as jalaakaash. But it is masked when one is paying attention to the reflection of the external space.

8. From the point of unaffectedness aspect only the pot-space is equated to Kutastha Chaitanya, which forms the very basis to accommodate a reflecting medium (water) and indirectly the reflection of the total consciousness but via the names and forms limited by the vision of the pot-mouth!

This much is the analogy.

9. When it comes to the meghaakaasha and maahakaash where similar reflection is discussed in terms of the tiny water bubbles in the clouds as the reflecting medium, Vidyaranya poins out that one cannot really these tiny bubbles and the reflection of space too. But one has to infer it – anumeeyate.

10 The discussion of the meghakaasha and mahaakaasha is in relation to Iswara and Brahman. By the analogy, Vidyaranya is also pointing out that one cannot see Iswara who is the reflection in maayaa. Maaya also cannot be seen like water droplets in the clouds. Iswara and maaya both have to be anumeeyate, one has to infer. Looking at the creation, one has to infer both maaya, the material cause for creation, and Iswara who is maayaavi. This aspect Vidyaranya discusses it later.

11. This is where we stopped out talks for today.

One can listen to the talks on you-tube under Acharya Sadaji brought to you by Advaita Academy. (Just little advertisement!)
My thanks to Chadramouliji and Venkatranganji for enlightening me.
Hari Om!
Sadananda