[Advaita-l] A 5th Century AD view of Vedanta (Some Comments)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 08:53:03 EST 2018

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 6:38 PM Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
> Thanks for posting this. There is a chapter on Prof Hajime Nakamura's 'A
> History of Early Vedanta Philosophy' which elaborately discusses this
> chapter from the mAdhyamaka hRdaya, along with Bhavya's autocommentary on
> the hRdaya,  tarkajvAla.
>
> The professor's view is that the school presented is not the vedAnta of
> gauDapAda and Sankara, but contains within it traces of a more ancient
> school of puruShavAdins - the doctrine of puruSha, which is different from
> more developed ideas appearing in advaita siddhAnta. He says "...there are,
> in Bhavya's concept of Purusa, the remnants of a primitive, simple and
> naive idea."
>
> A reading of the translation presented in your other email does show some
> critical differences with advaita.

Venkat ji,

This is interesting. Could you please elaborate on the above point you
make?  When I read the message in those posts of Jaldhar ji, from Purusha I
recalled 'Tam Tu aupanishad Purusham pRcchAmi' of the Br.Up. that Shankara
has held dear to his heart. The Purusha of the Vedanta is the Brahman,
knowable only through the Upanishads.

warm regards
subbu