[Advaita-l] A 5th Century AD view of Vedanta (Some Comments)

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 01:48:05 EST 2018

Namaste

There is no Adhyaasa-Maayaa doctrine in this theory. It cannot be Advaita
Vedanta of Sankara. Sankara starts his Bhashya with Adhyaasa.

It could be a Missing Link between Advaita and Visistadvaita because Jagan
Mithyaatva is not Pratipadya Vishaya in it.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 11:18 AM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 6:38 PM Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <
>
> > Namaste,
> > Thanks for posting this. There is a chapter on Prof Hajime Nakamura's 'A
> > History of Early Vedanta Philosophy' which elaborately discusses this
> > chapter from the mAdhyamaka hRdaya, along with Bhavya's autocommentary on
> > the hRdaya,  tarkajvAla.
> >
> > The professor's view is that the school presented is not the vedAnta of
> > gauDapAda and Sankara, but contains within it traces of a more ancient
> > school of puruShavAdins - the doctrine of puruSha, which is different
> from
> > more developed ideas appearing in advaita siddhAnta. He says "...there
> are,
> > in Bhavya's concept of Purusa, the remnants of a primitive, simple and
> > naive idea."
> >
> > A reading of the translation presented in your other email does show some
> > critical differences with advaita.
> >

> Venkat ji,
>
> This is interesting. Could you please elaborate on the above point you
> make?  When I read the message in those posts of Jaldhar ji, from Purusha I
> recalled 'Tam Tu aupanishad Purusham pRcchAmi' of the Br.Up. that Shankara
> has held dear to his heart. The Purusha of the Vedanta is the Brahman,
> knowable only through the Upanishads.
>
> warm regards
> subbu

-Venkatesh