[Advaita-l] TRUTH IS STATIC

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Thu Feb 1 06:36:37 EST 2018

Dear Sir,                 I read one of the research article recently who is the western follower of Pujya Swami Sir Dayananada saraswati (Anniversary:10/2/18) and it says that:
"Brahma satyam, Jagat mithya jıvo brahmaiva naparah".
Brahman is the only truth (satyam), the world, jagat, is unreal (mithya), and there is ultimately no difference between brahman and the individual self (jıva).
Vedanta claims that only brahman, the Absolute, is satyam. Everything else is mithya, depending on brahman for its existence, including the indiviual (jıva), which makes it non separate from brahman. Understanding satyam, asat and mithya results in a correct vision of reality For examples to illustrate mithya, there are a number of words in english which are antonyms of ‘real’: Something can be illusion, fictional, or nonexistent.
Mithya is oen translated with ‘illusion’, but it is more accurate to speak about dependent reality. We usually say that something is an illusion, if it appears to be different from what it actually is. For example, when we walk along a forest trail at dawn, it could happen that we believe we see a snake rolled up in front of us. But as we are getting closer, we realize there is only a coiled rope. The snake was an illusion.
In mathematics, there are universally true statements, theorems, axioms like Pythagoras’ theorem, claims that the angular sum of any two angles in a right angled triangle is 90. True statements in this sense are always true, independent of time, location or the viewpoint of the one who is making the claim. The same accounts to mathematically false statements. What has been recognized as absolutely true cannot be subject to negotiation, because it does not change. What has been recognized as absolutely false will never become true.
Another best example to understand this concept in details is the role of clay in making the pot which is taught by several Vedanta teachers.Learned members please put some examples from purana's & sastra /upanishads.

Sri Guru Padaravindarpana MastuKameswara