[Advaita-l] Purva Mimamsa Discussions - Vidwan Sri Mani Dravid Sastrinah

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 17:31:39 EST 2018

Thank you.

The talks were really meaningful with that in mind. If I understood Sri MDS
correctly, mImAmsakas hold that the mukhya visheShya, the central object of
a sentence, is the bhAvana, defined as AkhyAtArtha, or the verbal ending of
the sentence. In determining vAkyArtha or sentence meaning, the anvaya of
every element of the sentence is with that AkhyArtha. Such an approach - ie
everything having anvaya with bhAvana as the mukhya visheShya - is a more
parsimonious approach compared to nyAya which in contrast, requires seven
different anvayas (corresponding to liNg / its absence, naN and its absence)

In the case of liNg, the vidhi artha is the shAbdibhAvana - ie the
pravartana (the knowledge gained from the vidhi - veda is enjoining a
sacrifice to me). This leads to the anumAna (hence the sAcrifice must be an
iShTa sAdhana, leading to a desirable outcome for me). This leads to
pravritti (the ArthabhAvana) - let me perform the sacrifice.

In cases other than liNg too, the bhAvana, the central component of the
sentence, is the verb ending, and other words in the sentence take their
meaning in relation to the activity denoted by the verb.

Given that sentences, according to mImAmsa, have action (bhAvana) as their
central element, the prAmANya of veda according to that school is in
sentences enjoining a particular action or in prohibiting one. Sentences
that talk of the nature of Atma (as one with Brahman) have no prAmANya, as
no pravritti takes place from them - they are arthavAda, in mImAmsa's view.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan